ANNOUNCEMENT (04 March 2019): The Philippine Journal of Public Policy (PJPP) of the UP Center for Integrative and Development Studies is pleased to announce the deadline extension for applications to the 2019 PJPP Writeshop. Interested individuals may send their manuscripts and CVs to [email protected] on or before 30 March 2019.
About the PJPP
The Philippine Journal of Public Policy: Interdisciplinary Development Perspectives or PJPP is the annual peer-reviewed journal of the University of the Philippines Center for Integrative and Development Studies (UP CIDS) released in print and online.
The PJPP publishes policy research covering the following major themes of public policy concerns. In particular, these cover the following themes under the CIDS Programs:
- paradigms of development,
- social and political change,
- strategic studies,
- ethnicity and religion,
- health, and
- science and technology.
The PJPP also accommodates scholarly work on other issues such as peace and conflict transformation, migration, constitutional change, disaster risk reduction, and themes not listed here but which fall under the purview of public policy.
Objectives and Rationale
It is within this context that we are initiating a Writeshop which aims to hone the skills of Filipino graduate students, academics, and government functionaries in the research policy arm of their respective agencies involved in policy-related research to produce relevant academic output that will contribute to the body of knowledge on public policy.
For early career researchers and students, the Writeshop may serve as an avenue for improving their research and familiarizing themselves with the academic review process. More experienced professionals in their respective fields may see the Writeshop as an opportunity for network-building and further training.
From the Writeshop, selected outputs will undergo a preliminary review. Successful manuscripts will be subjected to a peer review process prior to publication. Fellows whose manuscript will be accepted for publication in the PJPP will receive a cash incentive of Php 20,000.
Mechanics and Selection Process
- The PJPP Writeshop is open to Metro Manila graduate students, early career researchers, junior faculty, and government functionaries involved in policy-making research. For those outside Metro Manila, only faculty and Research, Extension and Professional Staff (REPS) from University of the Philippines (UP) Units are eligible to apply.
- Interested applicants may submit the following requirements to the University of the Philippines Center for Integrative and Development Studies (UP CIDS) Publications Unit via [email protected] on or before 30 March 2019:
- A 6,000-8,000 word original manuscript authored solely by the applicant, and which is not in consideration for publication elsewhere.
- The article must fall under the PJPP themes.
- It must include, outside the word count of the main text, an abstract consisting of 250 – 300 words, and six keywords.
- A copy of the applicant’s latest curriculum vitae.
- Ten fellows will be selected from the pool of applicants, after a preliminary review is conducted by the editorial staff of the PJPP.
- UP faculty from UP Units outside Metro Manila who are accepted into the Writeshop may apply for accommodation and transportation reimbursement, subject to government accounting rules. This excludes baggage fees, taxi fare, travel tax, and the likes. Participants may apply for reimbursement by sending a signed letter of request to the UP CIDS Publications Unit email, addressed to Dr. Teresa S. Encarnacion Tadem, the Executive Director.
- Each fellow will be paired with a senior scholar who will serve as their mentor. The mentor’s role will be to guide the Writeshop fellow through the academic review process in preparation for publication.