The Tokyo University of Foreign Studies University Press Publishes Comprehensive Filipino Textbook
Last 13 February 2018, Michiko Yamashita-Shimizu from the Tokyo University of Foreign Studies, visited UP Center for Integrative and Development Studies (UP CIDS) Executive Director Dr. Teresa S. Encarnacion Tadem to donate her textbook entitled Comprehensive Filipino Textbook to the UP CIDS Resource Collection.
The University Press, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies, published the Comprehensive Filipino Textbook on 7 February 2018, the third publication in its Foreign Language Textbook series following Russian and Arabic. The book is a comprehensive textbook for learners of Filipino who can read Japanese. It makes use of the Japanese language, and is meant to be used by learners of Filipino at any level from beginner to advanced.
The book features the following:
- Systematic and easily understandable explanations of grammatical features
- Practical conversations on useful and relevant topics
- Exercises to enhance understanding of grammar
- Word lists and lists of useful expressions on specified topics
- Short articles and extra information regarding the culture, history and political situation in the Philippines
- Japanese equivalents for all words in the textbook
- A downloadable recording of the conversation and word list
The Comprehensive Filipino Textbook is authored by Michiko Yamashita-Shimizu, Leith Casel- Schutz and Kunio Takano of the Tokyo University of Foreign Studies. The authors are all UP alumni.